Python and GUI options

Vadim Zeitlin Vadim.zeitlin at dptmaths.ens-cachan.fr
Wed Jan 5 15:02:17 EST 2000

On 05-Jan-00 Randall Hopper wrote:
> I wasn't even thinking of the make/gmake part.  Using gmake was the first
> thing I did

 Good :-)

> From a user standpoint, it would be useful if the build system were changed
> to a GNU configure sense-and-testwhat-you-have scheme rather than a
> configure-this-file, put-overrides-in-this-file, and see-what-breaks
> scheme.

 Sorry, I don't understand what are you referring to. wxWindows uses
configure exclusively (i.e. we don't support manually editing the
makefiles any more) since more than a year and a half and it had
it along with the makefiles long time before it... Under Unix
(and even Windows if you're lucky enough to have bash) you don't
have to edit anything - just run configure with necessary options.

> Re the other problems.  If build system changes don't do away with it (I
> hope they do), more docs on creating the build.local file are a must.

 Sorry again, but I don't even know what is it?

> Also, I had to copy this around when I was building wxPython and then its
> assorted modules because it didn't look for it except in $PWD.  I had to
> make it compile in an RPATH so wxPython could find wxWindows.  This is
> probably there for Solaris (-R) but it's not there for SGI (-rpath) since
> you're not testing on that OS.

 It would be nice if someone knowing how shared libraries work on SGI
(I don't) could patch configure.in to take this into account. I believe
that people did succeed in building libwx_gtk.so under Irix though...

 Anyhow, patches are always gladly accepted :-)

> Also, wxGTK and wxPython sense different
> compilers (SGI vs. GCC).  I had to coerce them to use the same ones.

 Hmm... How did this happen? Did the value of your CXX env var changed
in between somehow?

> configured with --with-opengl and it didn't pull in the GL canvas.

 I believe that this problem will disappear in future wxPython releases
because it won't need it any more at all.

 But please do tell us if there is something wrong with configure under
Irix (or elsewhere) - obviously, we can't fix it if we don't know about
it.

 Regards,
VZ