tabs do WHAT?

Glen Starchman glen at electricorb.com
Fri Jan 28 07:27:51 EST 2000

The forced indentation in python does something that no amount of cajoling,
lambasting, etc... can do for a development staff: it forces them to group their
code in logical structures, making it MUCH easier to debug, etc...

what would you rather debug:

for (i=1; i < 100; i++){
do something hideous here;
and then something else here;}

or

for i in range(100):
    do something pleasant here
    and then something else

Personally, there is nothing I hate more in the curly-brace languages than the fact
that developers don't have to line up their braces to show groupings of code. I
guess if every C/C++/Java, etc... developer wrote code like:

for (i=0; i < 100; i++)
{
    do something;
} /* notice how the braces line up and the body is indented!*/

I would be happy with that approach. However, there is nothing better than forcing
clean code... in my very humble opinion.