Python Rocks!

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Thu Jan 20 19:24:19 EST 2000

"Tim Peters" <tim_one at email.msn.com> writes:

> Programs-writing-programs is a twist of mind conspicuously absent in
> the Python world.

It has probably been debated to death already, and I have a folder full
of suggestions about scanners and parsers for Python, waiting for me to
read and study, which I gleaned from this very mailing list.

Isn't there a need for compiling grammars into fast scanners and parsers,
a bit like Flex and Bison do for C people?  To be happy, I presume one would
have to write small amounts of Python code for each "action".  Or maybe just
provide the name of a function to call.  Yet, the result has to be Python.

Or are you suggesting that such tools should directly generate byte-code?