Python and GUI options

bowman bowman at montana.com
Sat Jan 1 18:05:43 EST 2000

randy_shaffer at my-deja.com <randy_shaffer at my-deja.com> wrote:

>I have experimented with tkinter and the PMW library.  Things seem to
>operate a bit slow.  The other options/considerations I’ve pondered are:

Is the speed a real showstopper? Assuming your NT clients already have
Tcl/Tk and Tkinter running this may well still be the best solution.

Most other GUI packages may require additional libraries to be installed
on NT, and this may be a problem. Also, they may not show much of a speed
increase.

Java 1.x may work if you are familiar with Java already. If not, there is an
additional learning curve. I haven't tested the latest 2.0 implementations,
but when 2.0 first came out, it was noticeably slow on a 233 mhz system
where Tkinter is perfectly acceptable. You pay dearly for every level of
abstraction.