Python Rocks!

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Wed Jan 19 00:00:31 EST 2000

"tye4" wrote:

> So you don't think this is a problem?? Hello!, read all the messages in this
> thread. Seems to me a lot of programmers have a problem with this.

Go to DejaNews and look for "indentation" or "whitespace" in
any period over the last 5 years. Most Pythoneers do not
agree with you. Most say "<yawn> this crap again?" and go
on to a different thread.

This particular horse stopped responding to beatings before
c.l.py was a newsgroup. It's not going to wake up now.

> Thanks to this quirk, I now have to worry how an editor saves tabs to files.

I use 4 different editors with Python code, all of which do the
right thing with a little bit of configuration. If your editor doesn't,
there are tools which will reformat whitespace to your
choosing (tabcleaner in the System directory of the contrib ftp
site).

If your editor line wrapped at 72 characters, would you argue
that any language which allows a line length of > 72
characters was flawed?

> I have offered you many reasons why we need 'end' block support..
> You have not offered a single reason why this is not a problem..

All arguments on both sides have been presented hundreds of
times already.

- Gordon