Looking for Solaris 2.6/Python 1.5.2 make test fix

Michael Hudson mwh21 at cam.ac.uk
Sat Jan 22 15:34:19 EST 2000

"Larry W. Virden" <lvirden at cas.org> writes:

> From: Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>
> > Something probably went wrong with building your Python binary. Can you
> > start the python executable ? do you get the prompt ? Can you execute code ?
>
> Yes, I can start the executable and I get the prompt.  I don't know about
> the execute code - as far as I can tell.  Only the one Lib test fails -
> I assume there's more python code than that that executes during make test.

When you cd into Lib/test and run ../../python regrtest.py, do you get
output along the lines of

test_fcntl
test_gdbm
test_gl
test test_gl skipped -- an optional feature could not be imported
test_grp
test_gzip
test_imageop
test test_imageop skipped -- an optional feature could not be imported
test_imgfile
test test_imgfile skipped -- an optional feature could not be imported
test_long

? If so, what is it saying before it blows up?

> I typed make distclean; configure; make all.  If anything 'made statically'
> it would be something that configure wanted built that way.  Same for the
> info about 'make dynamically' - I did nothing to the Makefiles - so however
> they were built, that's what got compiled.  As for 'not importing that
> specific module' - I'm a novice to Python, so I don't know what 'module'
> that test is invoking.  Seems to be related to regular expressions (perhaps
> GNU's rx library?)

Hmm. Which compiler? I seem to recall tales of regexp's failing due to
buggy optimizations in some compilers. You might want to try turning
off optimizations or using something like gcc-2.95.

Cheers,
Michael