XML-RPC Server

Samuel A. Falvo II kc5tja at garnet.armored.net
Fri Jan 14 16:54:45 EST 2000

In article <xqxr9fkk94u.fsf at skewer.ca.boeing.com>, Harry G. George wrote:
>What is the python community's position re SOAP and XML-RPC?  As I
>understand it, XML-RPC is standards-base, platform-independent, while
>SOAP uses MS-sponsored extensions (including, e.g., XML Data).  Can I
>assume that *both* will be supported in the future?

Having a copy of the XMLRPC specification right here, I can say that XML-RPC
doesn't reference a single standards document.  OK, the timestamps are in
ISO8601 format.  But everything else is anything but standards based.  In
fact, ALL of XML-RPC seems to be entirely Dave Winer's creation.  I've never
seen any third-party recommendation be included into XML-RPC except for the
Base64 datatype.

SOAP, in contrast, IS based on existing open standards.  Just look at its
bibliography.  Also, XML-Data is not a Microsoft "extension" -- it's
something the W3C organization has been working on for quite a long time.
Just because Microsoft had some input in the standards creation process does
mean it's suddenly a Microsoft extension.  I remember hearing about a desire
to replace the SGML DTD notation with XML back when XML was first
introduced.  And now, they're working on its successor: XML-Schemas.  I have
the specification for XML-Schemas.  I can see **nothing** in it that, in any
way, shape, or form, that makes me believe that Microsoft had anything to do
with the standards approval process -- there is nothing in EITHER
specification which makes them implicitly or explicitly Windows-specific.

For the record, that which is now SOAP happens to be the ORIGINAL XML-RPC
specification, developed long before Microsoft even got involved, and
developed by the same people who designed the modern XML-RPC standard.  The
ONLY reason XML-RPC standard exists today is because Microsoft wanted to
make sure everything was correct before releasing the standard, which would
have blown Dave Winer's schedule.  He released XML-RPC as a quick kludge
(and it shows!) that was both capable and simple to implement -- thus
guaranteeing Dave's software release schedule.  Are you aware that most of
the software supporting XML-RPC is now also supporting SOAP?  I can see the
market trends already -- XML-RPC will die a slow (but painless) death, and
SOAP will replace it.  XML-RPC has served its purpose; it's time to move on.

--
KC5TJA/6, DM13, QRP-L #1447
Samuel A. Falvo II