Tkinter hangs again under Windows

Niels Diepeveen niels at endea.demon.nl
Wed Jan 19 08:23:22 EST 2000

Hans-Joachim Widmaier schreef:

> Niels Diepeveen wrote:
>
> > This seems to be the problem. If you show any dialogs before entering
> > mainloop, you won't receive events anymore.
>
> Apparently this is the case. Is this a (known?) bug or just an undocumented
> feature, or is it even documented? The problem seems to only exist under
> Windows.

I'd say it's probably a bug in the Windows port of tk. WinSight shows
that after the dialog all mouse messages are sent to the containing
window, not to the controls. Also, the following tcl code shows the same
problem in Wish 8.0:
  button .b -text "Click here" -command {
    tk_messageBox -message "Button pressed"
  }
  pack .b
  tk_messageBox -title "Welcome" -message "Hello, bug!"

> Thanks a lot. I'll find a way around it, probably a self.after() that
> shows the dialogue shortly after entering the mainloop.

I posted a different workaround yesterday in response to a similar
question.

--
Niels Diepeveen
Endea automatisering