vi and python?

William Park parkw at better.net
Tue Jan 25 18:59:32 EST 2000

On Tue, Jan 25, 2000 at 04:22:14PM -0600, Ben Beuchler wrote:
> There seems to be a general preference for emacs in the python
> community.  I am personally much more comfortable working with vim.
> Does anyone have any particular tips for python development within
> vim? Particular shortcuts to test code, autoindentation settings,
> etc...  I would particularly like to be able to use some of the idle
> features with, perhaps, gvim...
>
> Ben

This is what I have in ~/.vimrc relevant to *.py.  You can move the
global settings to 'au BufRead *.py set ...' if you like.

version 5.4
set nocompatible	" Use Vim defaults (much better!)
set backspace=2		" backspace over everything
set autoindent
set shiftwidth=4	" 4 space/indent
set smarttab		" 'shiftwidth' at beginning of line; <Tab> elsewhere
set textwidth=72	" 72 char/line
" Python indentations
au BufRead *.py set smartindent
au BufRead *.py set cinwords=if,elif,else,for,while,try,except,finally,def,class

--William