More problems....

Guido van Rossum guido at CNRI.Reston.VA.US
Tue Jan 18 23:57:59 EST 2000

> [Guido, is this a known bug?  Not in the bugs list, but it's
>  become a frequent complaint.]
>
> [TechSpood]
> > I will write a simple program (in the IDLE enviroment) then
> > when I run it, it will run it til it gets to the first input
> > statement, at which time it will stop reading the program.
> > I don't get a syntax error or any other kind of error.

This was indeed a bug in IDLE 0.4 as released.  In that version, if
you run a script from inside IDLE (by pressing f%), all output goes to
a separate *Output* window.  When you use input(), the prompt text is
therefore displayed in that window, but entering text there does
nothing.  If you enter text in the *Python Shell* window (where an
innocent Python prompt is displayed) and hit return, that text
actually goes to the program and the program can continue.

It's probably time to make an official release of IDLE 0.5.  Maybe
after the conference...