ODBC and mxODBC

M.-A. Lemburg mal at lemburg.com
Wed Jan 12 13:18:12 EST 2000

Timothy Grant wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone got any tips on configuring mxODBC, or ODBC in general on a
> Linux box?
>
> I have a Linux box running PostgreSQL with the ODBC system installed.
>
> I can access it just fine from a Windows machine running mxODBC, but I
> have yet to be able to figure out how to get it to work from my own
> development machine which is a Linux notebook running RH6.1
>
> I can access the database just fine using the PyGreSQL module, but I
> really want to use mxODBC so that I can do cross platform development.
>
> This is probably more of a ODBC question than a Python question, but any
> help would be appreciated.

ODBC on Linux is not hard, but neither very easy to get up
and running.

The best solution is usually to add an ODBC manager layer
between the application and the driver. There are
two managers for Linux: iODBC and unixODBC (there should
be links to both of them from the mxODBC page).

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg