Global mutex/lock

Vladimir Marangozov Vladimir.Marangozov at inrialpes.fr
Wed Jan 26 06:16:18 EST 2000

Richard Gruet wrote:

> Hi Python gurus,
>
> Is there a portable global mutex implementation somewhere ?

What do you mean by global?

> AFAIK, the locks in the threading/thread modules work only between
> threads of the same module.

They work for all threads within a given (Python) process, yes.

> OTOH, there are file locks for Windows and Unix (respectively in modules
> msvcrt and fcntl), that can serve as locks.

Yes. Locking a shared resource can be used for inter-process
synchronization.

> Am I right or am I missing something ?
>
> cheers,
> Richard

It depends on what you're looking for, but it sounds like you need
inter-process synchronization of some sort... Different solutions
exist, some are "portable", some aren't.

For more feedback, tell us more about your problem. :-)

       Vladimir MARANGOZOV          | Vladimir.Marangozov at inrialpes.fr