Which Python book?

Jason Stokes jstok at bluedog.apana.org.au
Sun Jan 23 23:37:03 EST 2000

Ralph Corderoy wrote in message <86fl0m$gmj$1 at inputplus.demon.co.uk>...

>OK, I learnt C from the excellent K&R (Old Testament), all the Unix
>little languages, and many more besides.  I learnt Perl 4 years ago
>purely from the man pages, and Perl 5 at the same time from
>eavesdropping on the perl5-porters mailing list.  I like well written,
>terse, books.  Given all of that it sounds to me as if I should remove
>_Programming Python_ from my shopping basket and add _Python Essential
>Reference_.  Your views are sought.

Learning Perl from the manpages sounds exceedingly godlike, so  _Python
Essential Reference_ should suit you fine.  I just picked it up.  For me,
Python's modules and multiple inheritance trigger repressed memories from
Perl, Python's functional aspects twinge memories of Haskell, and Python's
classes have an exceedingly smalltalkish feel to them.  So long as you've
already encountered what the reference is describing, the reference should
serve you fine.  Even the online docs, for that matter, but the reference is
nicer.