no return values for __init__ ??

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Mon Jan 10 05:24:27 EST 2000

Helge Hess <helge.hess at mdlink.de> wrote:
> Hm, I wonder why it is simpler to have two separate kinds of methods
> instead of a consistent behaviour for all methods ?

umm.  in my dictionary, "consistent" means
"free from variation or contradiction".

in the current design, if you call a class object,
you *always* get an instance of that class.  in the
current design, if you inherit from a class and call
the parent's init function, it *always* initializes the
current instance.  in the current design, multiple
inheritance is *always* supported.

in your design, you've changed "always" to "it
depends".  hardly something that would make
Python's behaviour more consistent.

</F>