Python Rocks!

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw at cnri.reston.va.us
Wed Jan 19 00:58:51 EST 2000

    JvR> To *many* people 8 spaces indentation is just too much. Look
    JvR> at the Python library: 4 spaces all over! (But had they used
    JvR> tabs anyone would've been able to decide for themselves...)

As I'm sure Just knows, but others may not, many of the older Python
modules used to be 8-spaced.  I think a few still are (Tkinter.py
perhaps, hard for me to check right now).  But the current standard
for .py files is 4-space, no tabs.

Also, if you look at Python's C code you'll see remnants of Guido's
coding preferences; all the C code is indented 8-spaced.  Sometimes
you have to get creative to fit everything within an 80 column window!

-Barry