First try at Tkinter stuff

Timothy Grant tjg at avalongroup.net
Fri Jan 7 13:02:10 EST 2000

Matt Gushee wrote:

> Or you're just missing a small piece of the puzzle.
>
> >         SupplierFrame.grid(row=0, column=0, rowspan=2)
>
> Try this instead:
>
>         SupplierFrame.grid(row=0, column=0, rowspan=2, sticky=N+S+E+W)
>
> ... or in your case, 'sticky=N+S' might be enough.
>
> If you were packing instead of gridding the SupplierFrame, you would
> use the options 'fill' and possibly 'expand':
>
>         SupplierFrame.pack(expand=YES, fill=BOTH)

Well, it did help a bit as I now have a better understanding of what's
going on, but it didn't help in that the minute I put a child widget in
any of the frames, the frame shrinks to the width of the label or the
button I place in it, and the height of the two central frames stacked
together.

I did some more reading last night (Tkinter Life Preserver) and one of
the things Matt says is that containers shrink to the size of their
contents. Is that always the case, or is there a way around it?

--
Stand Fast,
    tjg.

Chief Technology Officer              tjg at exceptionalminds.com
Red Hat Certified Engineer            www.exceptionalminds.com
Avalon Technology Group, Inc.                   (503) 246-3630