Whitespace delimiters suck

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Fri Jan 21 10:03:01 EST 2000

Roy Smith wrote:

> That's a far cry from confusion about how many spaces a tab is equal to leading
> to syntacticaly correct but semanticaly incorrect programs.

There is no confusion. Python always treats a tab as 8, (or
aligning to the next n*8th column). tabnanny will tell you if
there's any other value of tab which would yield an
inconsistent interpretation.

> Even SQL, which has to be the most wart-infested language syntax I've ever seen,
> gets this right :-)

I've seen SQL implementations which give you a syntax error if
the last statement in a chain ends with a ";". I don't believe the
SQL grammar specifies whether this is correct or incorrect.

- Gordon