And there was the whitespace topic again ;-) (was Re: ( 2.31.New operators: 'eq', 'ne', 'last', '..' ) ?)

Stefan Schwarzer s.schwarzer at ndh.net
Tue Jan 25 08:26:53 EST 2000

Hello François,

François Pinard schrieb:
> To be honest, I just do not understand the big fuss some people do about
> whitespace in Python.  They are all given a very nice gift, and it makes
> their misery.  I shudder to think what their sources would look like, if
> they really consider that indentation is a curse.  I like the idea that
> Python programs have readability on their side from the start, by design.

The concerns are (as far as I understood) not against whitespace to
be semantically relevant, but to the fact, that the same looking code
could perform different actions if you use another tab/space scheme
for indentation.

Because this _follows_ from the "whitespace (here: indentation) is
relevant" issue, some would like to abondon the whole relevancy of
indentation to get rid of their problems, - which could IHMO also be
solved with a good editor. As a side effect, this solution would (not
would but actually does :) ) keep the _advantage_ to spare the verbal
block delimiters (e. g. "endbla") ;-) .

Stefan