Python Rocks!

tye4 tye4 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 18 15:50:55 EST 2000

Tom Culliton <culliton at clark.net> wrote in message
news:YZRg4.1292$Ve7.28796 at iad-read.news.verio.net...
> In article <860ftk$bas at news.or.intel.com>, tye4 <tye4 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Have you got extensive experience at designing and implementing
> computer lanaguages like Guido?  Did you spend years working on a
> major language design/development project (ABC) including lots of
> usability studies like Guido?  Have you had the benefit of Tim Peters,
> a veritable font of language implementation experience and good taste,
> whispering (or occasionally shouting) in your ear?  I rather doubt it.

Are you insinuating that this is not a problem since I'm not as experienced
as Guido? I don't need to design a language to detect flaws in it.
This problem needs to be fixed. That's because indentation is
highly dependent on what text editor you use. Some editors convert
tabs to spaces some don't. Only way around that would be not use
tabs... which is quite ridiculous (I don't want to type 4 spaces for every
line.)
Besides, some editors auto-indent which is a very nice feature.. but one
that might cause problems with Python.

> Part of the reason that Python is so clean and elegant is because
> Guido, with that background, discarded everything that didn't improve
> clarity, conprehensibility, and ease of learning, and only kept things
> that helped.

Python is clean and elegant.. yes but it could me much better.
Unfortunately, it's hard to change basic syntax of a language.

-tye4