Python is much faster than Java?

Eugene Goodrich bitbucket at isomedia.com
Mon Jan 10 18:26:55 EST 2000

It may be too late for you to have an accurate measurement on this,
but did you also time how long it took to _write_ the sorting
algorithms?  No one seems to have anything but anecdotal evidence of
the RAD utility of Python (though I certainly don't refute it!).

     -Eugene

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000 22:03:38 +0100, Nemeth Miklos <nemeth at iqsoft.hu>
wrote:

>A colleague implemented a sorting algorithm in both Java and Python
>(CPython on NT) just to test the capabilities of Python.
>He is (or may be only was) a Java fan, but I spoke to him about Python
>so much, that he decided to make some comparisons.
>After the tests it turned out that the Python implementation was 5 times
>faster?
>We could not believe our eyes! How is it possible?
>A knew that Java is very poor in managing object (creating them and
>garbage collecting them), but I thought it is fast enough for procedural
>programming.
>
>NM

import binascii; print binascii.a2b_base64 ('ZXVnZW5lQGlzb21lZGlhLmNvbQ==')