Python Rocks! - get rid of colons

Will Rose cwr at crash.cts.com
Mon Jan 24 00:53:12 EST 2000

Tim Peters <tim_one at email.msn.com> wrote:
[...]
: Me neither, although I reject the assumption that a language good for
: learning is necessarily bad for "real life"; to the contrary, I think Python
: already stands as a strong counterexample (although ABC does not).  Guido's
: CP4E proposal

:     http://www.python.org/doc/essays/cp4e.html

: is definitely aimed at newbies, but is much more concerned with the
: development environment than with the language per se.  There are several
: reasons to suspect that a few aspects of Python today are "plain wrong" for
: newbies (case sensitivity and "lossy" integer division get mentioned most
: often) -- but many experienced programmers gripe about the same things.

: Unfortunately, "experienced programmers" are all over the map, usually
: griping about whatever doesn't match the last language they used <0.4 wink>.

: e.g.-you're-probably-irked-about-indentation<2.0-wink>-ly

I can live with the indentation, tho' its a nuisance not to be able to
format the code for readability.  However, if python goes case-insensitive,
I'm gone.  I already have enough fights with case insensitive/case preserving
filesystems.  If you want to simplify that aspect of the language, go to a
single case - preferably upper case, so that the name of the DEITY can be
correctly invoked.

Will
cwr at crash.cts.com