Python startup seems slow... (NT)

Samuel A. Falvo II kc5tja at armored.net
Fri Jan 28 09:11:52 EST 2000

> I see where this technique will speed up the initial loading
> of Python,but you will loose time on all subsequent library calls. Is it
> not more efficient to have all the library functions available
> immediately.

Can you explain as to why this is?  Delayed loading of libraries increases
perceived sluggishness of the system as functions are called for the first
time.  By loading all the libraries at once, you eliminate this.  And since
Windows already pages in code as-needed from executables and libraries,
you're just adding undue overhead.