Teaching Python to kids (Was: 8 sugs. Python books)

Gerrit Holl gerrit.holl at pobox.com
Sun Jan 30 16:24:12 EST 2000

gvwilson at nevex.com wrote on 949259846:
> 3. Computer Science Python Style
>
> Logo is to children's computing what C is to systems programming, and
> Brian Harvey's three-volume series "Computer Science Logo Style" is to
> Logo what Kernighan and Ritchie's "The C Programming Language" is to
> C.  Anyone who wants to teach children to program, in any language,
> will find "CSLS" a rich source of ideas, and a good guide to what
> children (and their teachers) can actually understand.  In particular,
> if anything is longer or harder to explain in Python than in Logo,
> it's a good sign that an extension library is needed...

On the level of "A variable is a box with a label. The label is the
name of the variable, for example, 'elephant'. The content of the box
can be different things: a number, '4', for example. Or it can
be a string, 'animal'. It can be many different things. Because
that's quite hard to understand, we'll spend a seperate chapter on
it".

I'd love to see such a book translated to 42 languages. For 6-years-old
children. I once learned from a book like this, in Dutch: "Programmeren
voor kinderen met SuperLogo voor Windows". Unfortunately, the language
itself was the worst I've ever seen.
But I don't think the title is easy enough for kids. What about
"Learning to program for kids (with Python)". With as many colorful images
as possible. The "with Python" isn't really important.

regards,
Gerrit.

--
Please correct any bad Swahili you encounter in my email message!