A modest proposal

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Thu Jan 20 10:47:25 EST 2000

Ivan Van Laningham <ivanlan at callware.com> wrote:
> Martijn Faassen wrote:
>> > Therefore, I plan to redesign
>> > Python so that you will all have to read and write Mayan glyphs in order
>> > to write any programs.
>>
>> Sounds great! Should it be part of Numpy or the core language?
>> This is a math related extension, right?

> No, no, it *is* the core language.  No more def.  Instead, you will have
> to use the glyph for God K.  You will have to write your variable names
> in the Mayan syllabary.  All numbers will be modified base 20 by default
> (if you prefix a number with the "elephant" glyph, however, you will be
> able to use Roman numbers).  No more reserved words, only reserved
> glyphs.

Awesome!

> Instead of colons at the end of lines, you will have to use the
> "spectacle" glyph (properly oriented, of course).

>> Though-dutch-glyphs-would've-been-better-ly yours,

> Possibly, but you said that you were leaving the redesign of Python to
> those who weren't attending IPC8.

I don't think I said that I was leaving anything to you guys, I just stated
that _we_ did redesign stuff! Obviously since this year I will visit the
conference, any redesign of Python will happen there. :)

> You'll have to wait till next year
> for your opportunity to apply a little Dutch Cleanser to Python'-)

Hey, since everybody who uses Python speaks Dutch anyway, it's the
excellent first step towards Python 2.

Then again, in the spirit of open source I'm sure the newsgroup is
allowed to redesign Python too, so I'll start here:

For instance:

klasse Fiets:
   definieer __initialiseer__(zelf):
       zelf.snelheid = 0

   definieer rij(zelf):
       zelf.snelheid = zelf.snelheid + 1

Though you'd abbreviate some things, which turns it into this:

klass Fiets:
    def __init__(zelf):
        zelf.snelheid = 0

    def rij(zelf):
        zelf.snelheid = zelf.snelheid + 1

This means that Python is _already_ Dutch Python, but that Guido made
a minor typo in 'class' ('zelf' can be used just fine already).

Also-add-block-delimiters-you-closed-minded-indenters-ly yours,

Martijn