Python Rocks!

Jim Richardson warlock at eskimo.com
Fri Jan 21 14:22:03 EST 2000

On Wed, 19 Jan 2000 16:43:43 -0800,
 tye4, in the persona of <tye4 at yahoo.com>,
 brought forth the following words...:

>Ivan Van Laningham <ivanlan at callware.com> wrote in message >
>
>> Don't code that way to start with.  It's dumb.  Treat yourself to a good
>> editor.
>>
>Better yet. Fix the dumb language.

I like it as it is, if you don't, why are you using it?

>> You got about as much chance of getting this into Python as you do of
>> getting hit by a meteor.  Less, actually, because the odds for the
>> latter are measurable.  What you're asking for is for Python to not be
>> Python.  You don't like it, design your own language, build the
>> interpreter or compiler, and publish it.  Maybe you can get some people
>> to use it.  One of them won't be me.
>>
>> You're saying to people who know and love Python, "Python is a great
>> language except that it's Python.  Let's fix it."  We don't think it's
>> broken.  Your insistence on swimming upstream on this issue is not only
>> wrong-headed but boring.
>>
>Python is good but could be better.
>Everything has flaws and nothing is perfect. If we can't fix it then its a
>different
>matter. But in this case the problem can be fixed. It just so happens that
>there
>are a lot of bull-headed close-minded people than I reckoned there would be.
>I'm pretty certain now that this problem will never be fixed.

because so few people think it's a 'problem'. Frankly, to me.
it's a solution...

>I suggest you go to other newsgroups and let them know how brilliant Python
>is
>because it has an invisible block terminator.
>
>Since we are so lazy let's just skip the ending anything and just use
>indentation.
>
>Math:
>Before:
>    (2 + 3) * 5
>
>After Python rule:
>    (2 + 3
>            * 5
>
>C:
>Before:
>    if (x == 5)
>    {
>        printf("blah\n");
>    printf("blah blah");
>
>HTML:
>Before:
>    <h1> Python indentation: <i>Why it is such a pain</i>
>   </h1>
>    Blah blah blah
>
>After:
>    <h1> Python indentation
>            <i> Why it is such a pain
>    Blah blah blah
>
>Go ahead and convince these guys to switch do it the "Python Way".
>And Good luck. You will need it.
>
>-tye4

You are comparing apples and oranges. HTML is not a programming
language, it is a (seriously warped) markup language, by
definition, it doesn't even have any indentation rules. (just
look at some of the code written by some of the clicky pointy
webpage "builders" for examples of that...)
 Again, you think it's a problem, others don't. Deal with it.

--
Jim Richardson
	Anarchist, pagan and proud of it