[Newbie Problems] AttributeError from CGI script?

Gerrit Holl gerrit.holl at pobox.com
Mon Jan 31 10:12:39 EST 2000

Tim Peters wrote on 949253141:
> [David Fisher]
> > Along with most/all of the other functions in string.py, it is
> > replaced at the end of the module by another function named replace
> > from the strop module, which is written in C.  Now why this is done
> > is a complete mystery to me.
>
> Hysterical raisins:  originally, string.py was "it", and there was no strop
> module.  What's there today was a way to replace the important string
> functions w/ much faster C versions, without breaking any old code.  The
> string.py functions also serve as a kind of reference implementation for the
> curious, or for an initial port to a weird machine.
>
> those-who-don't-remember-the-past-are-doomed-to-
>     be-confused-by-its-ripples-ly y'rs  - tim

Am I supposed to remember Python facts that happened when I was 5 or 6?
I'm not.

But neither I am doomed to be confused: Archives! NEWS file!
Together quite a lot, I think. I'll come back in 40 years, when
I've finished reading it all.

farewell,
Gerrit.

--
Please correct any bad Swahili you encounter in my email message!