New Python Books

William Park parkw at better.net
Mon Jan 10 03:57:33 EST 2000

On Sun, Jan 09, 2000 at 09:56:25AM -0800, python at commandprompt.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently posted this message to comp.os.python:

<snip>

> We received about 8 responses with feedback that we much appreciated and
> would now like to solicit some more. If the people
> that read this email could just think about a few of the following
> questions and provide some feedback we would be very thankful.
>
> We are considering publishing the current set of Python documentation as a
> single volume versus several volumes such as toExcel does. Would this be
> of interest to the Python community?

Ultimately, it depends on the price.  Difficulty with this type of books
are
    - documentation changes almost every month, so it's old when it
      comes out
    - people don't read nor need the whole online documentations
    - particularly, library doc (which takes up more than 50%) is
      reference and is not designed to be read page-by-page
Even in Linux market, I have seen
    - LDP+Linux-HOWTOs
    - entire manpages
in the past, but I haven't seen them for some time.

> One person made mention of the "Vaults of Parnassus" if we were to include
> a snapshot of this would this be of interest?
>
> We are also considering "paying" someone to write a book about Python.
> Unfortunately, unlike traditional publishers the author would not get paid
> until the book was done, and then it would be on the basis of per book
> sold. We are aware that this is not the normal way of doing things, but we
> are not Prentice Hall and this would be the only way "currently" that we
> could pull this off. Is there anyone on this list that feels confident
> enough in their Python skills and writing ability to be able to perform
> such a task?

What type of books are you looking for?
On python subject or other topics as well?
An encyclopedia for beginners or practical introduction for programmers?

William