Python startup seems slow... (NT)

Skip Montanaro skip at mojam.com
Tue Jan 25 22:05:58 EST 2000

    Jason> Under NT, it seems that starting up python to process even a
    Jason> trivial script is pretty slow.  With the following python
    Jason> program, helloworld.py:

    Jason>   print "Hello World"

    Jason> it takes a second or more for "python helloworld.py" to execute
    Jason> on my machine.  It doesn't get any faster the second or third
    Jason> time around.

I rather suspect you have a problem of some sort.  On my Linux system I time
the following command at under 0.05s elapsed time:

    python -c "print 'hello world'"

run from the command line.

    Jason> Is there anything I can do to improve the performance?  Is this a
    Jason> known problem?

Not a known problem that I'm aware of.  If simple scripts like that with no
imports took a second to run in general on NT, I'm sure we'd have heard
about it by now.  (Not criticizing, just suggesting you turn over a few
rocks on your system.)  I seem to recall that NT has a pretty nice system
resource monitoring tool.  Are you running your script on a completely
quiescent system?

Skip Montanaro | http://www.mojam.com/
skip at mojam.com | http://www.musi-cal.com/
847-971-7098