Finding where Python is on a Unix server through Telnet?

Donn Cave donn at u.washington.edu
Mon Jan 3 12:24:08 EST 2000

Quoth thantos at chancel.org (Alexander Williams):
| On 2 Jan 2000 11:23:23 GMT, Donn Cave <donn at oz.net> wrote:
| >"locate" is a new one on me, not available on Digital UNIX.
|
| On Tru64 (*grumble grumble*) try 'whereis python'.

Well, on Digital UNIX I also find whereis:

  $ whereis python
  python:
  $ python
  Python 1.5.2 (#1, Apr 14 1999, 13:46:13) [C] on osf1V4

Tru64 may have revised this utility and improved the odds it will
find anything, but the point that emerges is ``what is the question?''

We're looking for python, for sure, but ... The official Python
installation from DEC (wouldn't that be nice)?  Use "whereis".
Python in Suzie's home directory, or a mutant Python installed
in an obscure place by some system programmer?  Use "locate"
(if it works as described in another followup.)  Python already
running?  Use "sys.executable" (and cross your fingers.)  Python
that would run if invoked from bash?  Use "type".  Python that
would run if invoked by csh?  Use "which".

	donn at u.washington.edu