Path problem with PIL installation

David Nichols dnichols at sourcesignal.com
Fri Jan 7 12:09:34 EST 2000

Can someone give me some advice about getting PIL working.  (I'm
running Windows 95B) I installed Python (py152.exe), placing the
resulting directory tree into E:\Programs\Python.  I then unzipped
pil-win32-991101.zip into the Python directory, changing the root
directory name from py152 in the process.  From the PIL sample
directory (E:\Programs\Python\Scripts) I executed the following
command are received this error message.

bash.exe-2.02$ Python viewer.py test.jpg
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "viewer.py", line 39, in ?
    root = Tk()
  File "E:\Programs\Python\Lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 886, in __init__

    self.tk = _tkinter.create(screenName, baseName, className)
TclError: Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following directories:

    {} ./lib/tcl8.0 . E:/Programs/tcl8.0/library
E:/Programs/Python/library

This probably means that Tcl wasn't installed properly.

I did do Tcl installation as prompted by the wizard, and there is an
init.tcl in E:\Programs\Python\Tcl\lib\tcl8.0 .  I suspect there is a
problem with the path Python uses to track down modules.  What do I
need to change (registry, environmental variables, ... ?) so that the
correct files are found?

I welcome any advice on how to solve this problem.

David Nichols
Source Signal Imaging
dnichols at sourcesignal.com