ANN: SurfNotes -- a web productivity application

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Fri Jan 14 17:32:42 EST 2000

Greetings, Pythoneers--

SurfNotes is a web productivity application that works together
with Netscape Navigator/Communicator on Unix platforms. It pro-
vides a convenient interface for taking notes on the web sites
you visit. It allows you to save and retrieve files in a native
format (using Python's 'pickle' or 'cPickle' module), or to
export to HTML.

SurfNotes is available at:

    http://www.havenrock.com/softlab/surfnotes/index.html

The current release is a prototype. This means that, while most
of the major features are implemented, it has some serious bugs
that I am aware of, and probably others I am unaware of. I am
making it available to the public mainly in order to obtain some
constructive criticism on the concept.

So please, try it out, abuse it, see what you like and dislike
about it, and let me know!

REQUIREMENTS

Unix or Unix-like OS
Netscape browser
Python with Tkinter (required) and tkFont (optional but highly
    recommended)
Tcl/Tk

So far it has been tested only on Linux (Red Hat 5.2) with
Python 1.5.2, Tcl/Tk 8.0, and Netscape Communicator 4.61. It
probably requires Python 1.5 or later, and Tcl/Tk 8.0 or later.
Different flavors of Unix, Linux distributions, or earlier/later
versions of Netscape should not be a problem.

By the way, for those who are curious as to why this is a Unix-only
application: I believe in creating cross-platform applications
whenever possible. The problem in this case is that Unix versions of
Netscape use a very simple protocol for remote operation (e.g. passing
URLs from external programs); as far as I know this feature is not
available on other platforms or in MS Internet Explorer.

--
Matt Gushee
Portland, Maine, USA
mgushee at havenrock.com