Python startup seems slow... (NT)

Jason Taylor jasont at wellmed.com
Wed Jan 26 17:15:59 EST 2000

> > Under NT, it seems that starting up python to process even
> > a trivial script is pretty slow.
>
> Under all installations of NT, or some specific one that you tried?  Don't
> laugh <wink>.  One thing to watch out for is fragmentation under NT.  Get a
> defrag utility (e.g., Diskkeeper Lite is free) and check that out.

First, thanks guys for the help!

I have checked a couple other installs and they *don't* seem to have the
problem.  So there appears to be something fishy with my machine.  I
tried all the suggestions posted so far: defragged, kept my machine
idle, used -S and -X options to trim startup load.  Put python before
perl in my PATH.  It's a little bit faster but nowhere near what I am
now seeing from python on other NT machines.

Just to simplify, I uninstalled all the Python packages (Base,
Win32/com, Tcl) and just installed py152.exe.  No change.  All the
registry keys look fine, at least the obvious ones I know to check such
as HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Python and the .py association.

I will keep playing with it.  If anyone else has seen this, speak up so
we can identify commonalities.

Thanks!!
Jason Taylor