SUGGEST: os.getuser()

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at acm.org
Fri Jan 21 11:54:58 EST 2000

Gerrit Holl writes:
 > So getpwuid() is never safe? But in my program, I *also* need the
 > comment field. So if there are multiple uids the same, I can't get
 > the full name?

  It sounds like you should use os.getlogin() (in the CVS version) to
get the actual login name and perform the lookup that way.  To be
*really* safe, use both getlogin() *and* getuid().  ;)  Seriously,
there should be only one line in /etc/passwd that matches the result
of os.getlogin(), but the existing getpass.getuser() should be fine
for most everyone.
  Perhaps *that* should be modified to use getlogin() when available,
in preference to pwd.getpwuid(os.getuid())[0] ?

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	  <fdrake at acm.org>