http POSTing

Stephen J King king at calibre-dd.com
Wed Jan 5 14:16:22 EST 2000

Jeff Kunce wrote:

> > i'm trying to create an offline form i can send to a website
> > through "POST". being new to python and minimal knowledge of
>
> For a simple example, see
>     urlpost.py
> at
>     http://starship.python.net/crew/jjkunce/

A very nice example, but perhaps not as simple as it might be?

The requirement is stated:
	<FORM ACTION="http://www.test.com/form.html" METHOD="POST">
	<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="hidd" VAL="en">
	<INPUT TYPE="text" NAME="email" VALUE="you at yourmail.com">
	<INPUT TYPE="image" SRC=post.gif NAME="POST">
	</FORM>
Although I don't know if you can post to an html page ...

Here's what I threw together:

#!/usr/local/bin/python

from socket import *

msg = 'hidd=en&email=you at yourmail.com'

ns = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM)
ns.connect('www.test.com', 80)
ns.send('POST /form.html HTTP/1.0\n')
ns.send('Accept: text/plain\n')
ns.send('Accept: text/html\n')
ns.send('User-Agent: stimpy\n')
ns.send('Content-type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded\n')
ns.send('Content-length: %d\n' % len(msg))
ns.send('\n')
ns.send(msg)

while 1:
	answer = ns.recv(1024)
	if not answer:
		break
	print answer,
ns.close()

# end

Assuming that you have the tkinter form you mention.

--  Stephen J King    Technology Manager   Calibre Digital Pictures
--  king at calibre-dd.com               http://www.calibredigital.com