Python on Rhapsody DR2/x86

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at ub.d.umn.edu
Sun Jan 30 23:09:34 EST 2000

Good evening, fellow Pythonistas!
	I thought I'd try this as a last resort...

	I'm trying to get Python 1.5.2 working under Rhapsody DR2/Intel.
I used the "./configure --with-threads --with-next-framework --with-dyld"
to configure for the Makefile.  When I make, the process stops with the
following:

./posixmodule.c: At top level: ./posixmodule.c:2695: conflicting types for
`putenv'
/System/Library/Frameworks/System.framework/Headers/bsd/stdlib.h:120:
previous declaration of `putenv' gnumake[1]: *** [posixmodule.o] Error 1
gnumake: *** [Modules] Error 2

I assume this has to do with the abandoned POSIX stuff (I think NeXT
abandoned POSIX with OpenStep, no?).  Is there any way I can get this to
work?  I've heard that Python 1.5.2 builds "right out of the box" on Mac
OS X Server-- there aren't too many differences between Rhapsody 5.1
(uname's description of Rhapsody DR2) and Rhapsody 5.3 (uname's desc. of
Mac OS X Server 1.0.2), so I'm suprised this didn't build fairly easily.

Does anyone have any ideas?  I've talked with one gent who couldn't get
Python 1.5.2 working under OpenStep 4.2, but I would appreciate it if
anyone has any experience getting (or not getting) Python 1.5.2 working
under Rhapsody.

I realize Tkinter won't work, I just want to do some Zope, and failing
that, other cgi type projects which I've started to develop under
Linux/x86, but would like to be using Rhapsody for verious reasons.

Thanks!
Aaron