ODBC connectivity to SQL7.0 mdb, UNIX - ODBC Bridges

Peter Larbalestier pxl at bby.com.au
Fri Jan 21 00:38:29 EST 2000

G'day All,

A number of queries:

1. Windows connection via ODBC to a SQL mdb on NT Server 4.0
    I have been making a connection to our SQL7.0 mdb via ODBC after
having set up a 'DSN' in the 'ODBC Data Source Administrator' window..
Most of the examples I have viewed so far refer to this practice.
    i.e. >>>import odbc, dbi
          >>>mydb = odbc.odbc(dsn,uid,pwd)

It worries me though that this seems to create a "permanent" connection
to the database as there is an open port listening for any queries.

Does anyone have any sample code for connecting on the fly to a SQL7.0
mdb WITHOUT using the 'ODBC Data Source Administrator' to setup a
"permanent" DSN.

Having programmed in VB I simplly conect on the fly using ADO to our
SQ7.0 mdb. Can this be done with Python using mxODBC?
    I believe so ! but can anyone help me with an example?

2. UNIX connectivity to SQL7.0 mdb on NT Server 4.0
    It seems that using ODBC - ODBC Bridge is the way to go but this is
after the NT problem.

I hope that this forum will provide some definitive answers for all us
'newbies' in regards to these important issues.

Regards

Peter Larbalestier
Down under