Python plugin

Nemeth Miklos nemeth at iqsoft.hu
Sat Jan 8 05:42:25 EST 2000

> Nemeth Miklos  wrote:
> > Is there a (webbrowser) plugin for executing Python scripts?
> > I'm having a lot of problem with Java, and I am seeking alternatives.
>
> What about JPython?
>
> http://www.jpython.org

Thank you for all suggestions.

(1) I am completely fed up with Java after two years of permanent
sucking (I suppose this may be the correct word).
I am threatened by all languages or tools having the letter "J" anywhere
in its name.
Castanet was also suggested as an alternative - I tried it 1.5 yeras
ago: never again anything from Marimba.

(2) No more COM or any Microsoft-only garbage. The only reason I am
looking for plugin because (apart from simple HTML) this seemed to be
supported by the browser giants. Everything else (Java applets - a
nightmare!, COM, DHTML) are browser specific.

My conclusion after this discussion thread:
(1) Grail was not mentioned as an alternative. I am a bit sad that this
project was a failure.
(2) Why on earth do I want to use plugins!? If I want to create a
sophisticated (ie. non-HTML) client, I do not need any browser, I may do
it easily with PyGTK (I tried it it seems very fast and simple to use),
PyQt, etc. communicating via HTTP, XML-RPC, CORBA (all supported by
Python) with my server. If HTML is acceptable for my application I
should use Zope with any browser.

NM