Whitespace delimiters suck - Seen Occam?

Andrew Henshaw andrew.henshaw at gtri.gatech.edu
Sat Jan 22 11:42:41 EST 2000

Roy Smith  wrote:
>I'm in love with python, but this idea of white space as significant
>syntax is the biggest wart on the language by far.

My all-time favorite language is Occam ("as simple as necessary"), which
was popular for parallel processing on the Transputer.  It is a beautiful
language that uses indentation for scoping and block constructs.  Unlike
Python, however, the indentation was more rigidly defined (everything
about Occam is rigidly defined).  Each indent is two spaces.  No tabs, no
odd numbers of spaces, no ambiguity.  I'm a newbie to Python, and
I was very pleased to find that it used indentation for blocking, but I have
been a bit concerned about the loose aspects.  It has already bitten me
(mildly) on some examples that I've copied and pasted from newsgroups.  But if
it's the worst problem I experience with Python, then I'm in great shape!

By the way, from my long experience with Occam - I can enthusiastically
recommend using a folding editor with indentation languages like Python.
They're made for each other.

--
Andrew Henshaw