Emacs question

William Annis annis at biostat.wisc.edu
Fri Jan 14 08:48:15 EST 2000

 From: "Fredrik Lundh" <fredrik at pythonware.com>:
 >William Annis wrote:
 >> "Fredrik Lundh" <fredrik at pythonware.com> writes:
 >>
 >> > # -*-python-*-
 >> >
 >> > or
 >> >
 >> > #  -*- Mode: Python; tab-width: 4 -*-
 >>
 >>         Those all work, but as I recall those work only on the first
 >> line of the file.  A quick test seems to confirm this.
 >
 >well, Daryl asked for something to put "at the
 >top of the file", so I didn't think I had to point
 >that out ;-)

        Well, that's certainly true.  I suppose I should have
mentioned in passing that I've had trouble with some operating systems
trying to parse this:

#!/usr/bin/env python -- # -*- python -*-

Solaris has no problem with this.  Linux bleats bitterly about it,
which was something of a nightmare when we started using Linux last
year.  I assumed Daryl wanted to write executable scripts and forgot
to mention the line above is not exactly portable, and thus my
preference for the other trick.

        I love it when my mind skips ahead to the punchline.  Perhaps
it's time to work on reducing my caffeine intake again... :)

--
wm