Whitespace delimiters suck - Seen Occam?

Andrew Henshaw andrew.henshaw at gtri.gatech.edu
Mon Jan 24 10:55:54 EST 2000

Richard Brodie wrote:

> "Andrew Henshaw" <andrew.henshaw at gtri.gatech.edu> wrote in message
> news:86cmom$5pp$1 at news-int.gatech.edu...
>
> > By the way, from my long experience with Occam - I can enthusiastically
> > recommend using a folding editor with indentation languages like Python.
> > They're made for each other.
>
> Curious. Everyone I knew who programmed in Occam had a profound
> dislike for the folding editor - it put me off the idea of using whitespace
> as syntax for years. I've got over it now though ;)

That's interesting.  Everyone here, who has used it for any
reasonably-sized
project, has really liked it.  I've seen opposition from programmer's
who
try it for a day and then immediately abandon it, however.  Have you
tried the Windows version of Origami from Elcom (it adds several
niceties,
but the default color scheme is horrible)?  There is a new Linux version
of the
free Origami.  I'm getting ready to try that one.

The main problem that I've seen are the non-intuitive key bindings.
That can
be fixed -- but I like the old ones.