Problem with Installer

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Fri Feb 18 11:08:01 EST 2000

Gingerich wrote:
> I can't seem to get Gordon's installer to work for me.  When I try to run
> setuptk.py,  I get the following error.

> Analyzing python dependencies of Tkinter c:\python\lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py
> analyzing tcl80.dll
> analyzing tk80.dll
> found binaries in C:\WINDOWS\lib
> Traceback (innermost last):
>   File "C:\Python\Pythonwin\pywin\framework\scriptutils.py", line 313, in
> RunScript
>     exec codeObject in __main__.__dict__
>   File "C:\Python\installer\SetupTK.py", line 62, in ?
>     main()
>   File "C:\Python\installer\SetupTK.py", line 40, in main
>     for fnm in os.listdir(libin):
> OSError: [Errno 3] No such process

A normal TCL/TK installation has the .tcl scripts living in ../lib
relative to where tcl80.dll and tk80.dll are found. Some TCL/TK
using apps are bad and install tclxx.dll etc. in places like
Windows/System[32]. In fact, when "Tk don't work" on Win32,
(about twice a week), this is almost always the problem,
(especially when xx != 80).

That seems to be the case here. The error msg is misleading
(sorry - I'll fix). Those dlls do NOT belong in
Windows/System[32]. Other apps shouldn't break, if the
Tcl/bin directory is on your PATH (Windows searches
Windows/System[32] before your PATH).

> If I try to run standalone.py, I get a similiar error, but I also have not
> had a successful run of setuptk.py which needs to be run first.  I have TCL
> installed in my C:\Python directory, with the paths in my autoexec.bat.  I
> tried 3 Win98 machines and an NT4.  All with the exact same error.  I have
> Winall build 1.27 installed with Py 1.52.  So what am I doing wrong?

Nothing. TCL/TK tries to be good, and Python follows their
directions, but lots of other apps using TCL/TK screw it up.
You Python/TK works because (1) the version in
Windows/System[32] is the right one and (2) Python only
searches the PATH, not the Windows dll search path (of
which PATH is the last element).

- Gordon