Style, readability and docstrings

Sam Schulenburg samschul at pacbell.net
Thu Feb 24 19:02:07 EST 2000

I use both function header blocks for readability by the programmer,
and doc strings for online use by the user. i.e under both PythonWin,
and IDLE, the doc string pops up on the screen when the user types the
first left=paren of a function.

In article <38B5BDA9.4B12EC57 at exceptionalminds.com>,
  Timothy Grant <tjg at avalongroup.net> wrote:
> Hi again.
>
> I posted a little code sample the other day and got a couple of
comments
> back on my "python style". One of those comments suggested that I move
> my function comment headers blocks into docstrings.
>
> I have done so, and now I can barely read my code, I don't know what
it
> is about those comment blocks at the top of a function that my eyes
> like, but without my function header comment blocks, my eyes don't
> immediately pick up each function as I scroll through my code.
>
> Is this a "You need to retrain your eyes" type thing? Have other's
> noticed the same thing, and does anyone have a nice coding style that
> works for them that I can borrow?

> # Stand Fast,
> #    tjg.
> #
> Chief Technology Officer              tjg at exceptionalminds.com
> Red Hat Certified Engineer            www.exceptionalminds.com
> Avalon Technology Group, Inc.                   (503) 246-3630

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.