Proposal: Official whitespace response

Gerrit Holl gerrit.holl at pobox.com
Wed Feb 16 01:33:17 EST 2000

Forrest Cahoon wrote on 950642676:
> (Personally, I'd feel more secure about python if tabs generated a
> compile error, and thus could be guaranteed not to be in any running
> code.)

Use 'python -tt'. From the manpage:

       -t     Issue a warning when a source file mixes  tabs  and
              spaces  for  indentation  in  a  way  that makes it
              depend on the worth of a tab expressed  in  spaces.
              Issue an error when the option is given twice.

07:32:45:tty6:gerrit at stopcontact:~$ python -tt /usr/local/bin/world
  File "/usr/local/bin/world", line 115
    return rawaddr
                 ^
SyntaxError: inconsistent use of tabs and spaces in indentation

I have an alias...

regards,
Gerrit.

--