Which GUI?

Gerrit Holl gerrit.holl at pobox.com
Wed Feb 23 14:39:45 EST 2000

<quote name="Vetle Roeim" date="951326034">

> > > wxPython and pyQt are not as portable as Tkinter.
> >
> > Please give an example!
>
> well.. I'm only repeating what I've read previously in this thread.
> I believe Qt is not available for Windows without paying money, and I'm
> not sure what platforms Qt and wxWindows (or whatever it's called) is
> available on.

For QT, I agree. For wxWindows, I don't know - I heard people say it runs
on the AIX, I heard people say it doesn't.

> > > Tkinter does NOT reinvent the wheel. I can't understand where this comes
> > > from.
> >
> > It provides their own classes. These classes are invented by Tkinter, they
> > do not exist in Tcl/Tk. And the methods don't even *match* with Tcl functions!
>
> I must admit I'm on new territory here. I've only been using Python and
> Tkinter for ~5 months or so. So my statements may have nothing to do with
> reality. I appologize.

I think this is ironic. As soon as I got stuck for many hours searching
Tcl manpages for Python calls and having to read Python source code to
find out the Python way to do something described in the Tcl manpages, I
stopped using Tkinter. But I repeat:

                   ***********************************
                   ***** IN MY HUMBLE OPINION!!! *****
                   ***********************************

Fredrik does not seem to get that. I'll probably need to put this in my
.sig because I otherwise risk to get flamed because of my opinions.

I do not live in a dictatorship.

> However, my experience with Tkinter is only positive. I think it's easy to
> use, I do _not_ think it's ugly, and I have successfully used the Tcl/Tk
> documentation together with Tkinter.

I haven't.

> But, as I have nothing more interesting to say about this, I will shut up

Me neither, but I find Fredrik's reaction very strange, especially because
he mentions my "madness" everywhere in c.l.py now!

regards,
Gerrit.