Which GUI?

Boudewijn Rempt boud at rempt.xs4all.nl
Sun Feb 20 11:30:23 EST 2000

Moshe Zadka <moshez at math.huji.ac.il> wrote:
<...>

>> What about pyQT?

> QT isn't free on Win32. Thus, portable free programs cannot use PyQT.
> On the other hand, portable free programs cannot use PyGTK either, but
> GTK does run on Win32, so it's only a matter of interest, I suppose.

Well, if you take the Qt license at literal value, it is possible
to fork out for a Qt Win32 dev license, create an app and distribute
that app with the Qt dll. So, it's possible for someone to buy Qt for
Windows, compile and distribute PyQt for Windows to people who don't
have a developers license for Qt for Windows. (I'm not interested - the
most interesting part of PyQt/PyKDE for me is the KDE part - because
of desktop integration and so on. Besides, I need the money for a new
monitor.)

>> I think I'll make another point 'can be subclassed' in my comparison.

> Why? In Python, subclassing is much less important then in other OO
> languages. For example, while widgets in Tkinter can be subclassed, the
> official effbotic advice is not to do so (and, I must say, I agree).
> Not to mention that Tkinter is built on _tkinter, whose widgets cannot
> be subclassed, so here is another point to the pointlessness of the
> subclass-ability.

I _do_ like subclassing widgets. It's one of the strengths of PyQt/KDE,
too. Besides, the way the tkInter IDLE classbrowser treeitems are
written looks a lot like widget subclassing to me...

--

Boudewijn Rempt  | http://www.valdyas.org