[Doc-SIG] Monty: A structured text syntax idea

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) tony at lsl.co.uk
Thu Feb 10 03:57:53 EST 2000

Karl EICHWALDER wrote, on 10 February 2000 07:19:
> Verbosity isn't bad per se :)
<<rest omitted>>

Well, actually, in the argument about "verbose" markup, I was on the "let's
use TeX/HTML/XML/SGML" side - that is, I quite *like* 'proper' markup
languages (heh, I've been know to use TeX for fun). But I've had to accept
that *lots* of people don't.

It seems to me that the idea of "short" markup for doc strings (acceptable
to most people, close to conventions used in email fairly naturally, etc.)
and "proper" markup in the actual documentation is a GOOD plan (much praise
to Frank) - but I had to be convinced about that first part. It's just the
convincing mostly happened in the last round of arguments about this, some
while back...

(One of the (minor) problems with a SIG like this which has been going a
while with long quiet spans is that sometimes one forgets that not everyone
was around for earlier parts of the discussion. Sorry.)

Tibs
--
Tony J Ibbs (Tibs)      http://www.tibsnjoan.demon.co.uk/
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive