functional programming

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Sat Feb 26 03:08:26 EST 2000

[Neel Krishnaswami, writes some unusual stuff about the Joy language,
 then recants]

> Augh! I just realized I screwed up the names. Joy, while an
> excellent and cool language (it's a functional Forth, more
> or less), is fully and totally 100% Turing-complete.

Joy is both much more and much less <wink> than a functional Forth.  It's
both lovely & strange; e.g., I'm not sure I've bumped into a language before
where it's considered natural (as opposed to merely possible, and with great
strain) to write an *anonymous* recursive function.

> The language that I was /actually/ talking about is Charity,
> which is a categorical programming language invented at the
> University of Calgary:
>
> http://www.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/projects/charity/home.html

New one on me -- thanks!  I see it shares category theory's fondness for
wholesale invention of impenetrable terminology too <wink>.  Alas, doesn't
look like an active project anymore.

die-young-and-leave-a-good-looking-corpse-ly y'rs  - tim