small python implementation or python subset ?

Marc BRETTE mbre at sxb.bsf.alcatel.fr
Thu Feb 10 04:20:17 EST 2000

OK, to summarize all answer that has been dent to me :

1/ On unix the python executable after source compilation seems not to
be stripped. Performing a "strip python", I scaled my executable down to
300 k (instead of 1.3 M - but with almost no module, even the string
implementation in C was not included).

2/ The URL http://www.abo.fi/~iporres/python/ gives a way to reduce
drastically python size. It provides a PDF document describing how to do
this and a patch file to apply to Python 1.5.1 (I didn't try it, and
don't know yet how to apply it, but it seems promising).

Thanks a lot for all your answers.

PS : For future keyword search : embedded python, reducing python,
lightweight python.

--
Marc Brette
Marc.Brette at sxb.bsf.alcatel.fr