binary distribution for SGI

Randall Hopper aa8vb at -nojunk-ipass.net
Sat Feb 19 08:39:05 EST 2000

Benyang Tang <btang at pacific.jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:

 |Where can I get a binary distribution for SGI? I tried to compile it from
 |the source codes but failed; I don't know whether it was because I did
 |not login in as a root user.

I compile from source and install in my home directory.  No root required.
This also lets you install any Python extensions for your own use without
grabbing your admin for each and every one.

I'm not at my SGI box now, but if you need a Setup file let me know.
Python is an easy build and install.  From memory:

     env SGI_ABI=-n32 configure --prefix=$HOME/software/python-1.5.2
     gmake
     gmake install

The "env SGI_ABI=-n32" just forces n32 architecture binaries.  That runs
on all our machines.  Only some of them support n64.

Also, I use GNU make out of habit.  SGI make may work.

--
Randall Hopper
aa8vb at -nojunk-ipass.net