breaking the ; habit

Jeff Bauer jbauer at rubic.com
Sat Feb 12 17:29:11 EST 2000

osorronophris osorronophris [Ryan] wrote:
> I'm a die-hard C++ programmer that recently took up
> Python for a change of scenery and am enjoying it
> greatly.  The one problem I am having is that I
> can't break myself of the semicolon habit.  I've
> tried chewing gum but it just doesn't seem to work,
> and I'd like to avoid the patch.  Any ideas?

The great thing about Python for recovering C++-a-holics
is that your don't *have* to give up your precious
semi-colons!  Feel free to append end-of-line ;'s to
your heart's content.

The hard part comes when switching back to Java or
C, and forgetting to add the obligatory decorative
punctuation.

<wink>-and-if-paul-prescod's-string.rstrip()-2nd-argument-
ever-pans-out-you'll-have-an-easy-way-to-remove-the-
semicolon-training-wheels-off-your-early-python-code-ly yr's,

Jeff Bauer
Rubicon Research